While little hounds need plenty of exercise, they can’t always keep up or last the distance.
Your hound may only have little legs, be a tad lazy, is old, or just too silly to run alongside the bike. That’s ok; they can’t be perfect in every way.
That’s why a dog bike trailer is a great way to take your dog along on your adventures without worrying about wearing them out or keeping them safe.
Both you and your dog can get the exercise you need and the hound about town can hop in their opulent ride when they have had enough.
Reasons You May Want a Dog Bicycle Trailer
When we looked at the best large dog bike trailers (up to 75 lbs |35 kg), we talked about all the reasons you might need a dog bike trailer such as:
- You like to cycle but don’t always want to leave your dog at home.
- Running alongside on a dog bike leash is not an option.
- You want to take a big outing, but little legs can’t last the distance.
- Or, maybe your little hound is sick, injured or old.
Whatever the reason, a bike trailer for your dog will be very rewarding for both you and your hound.
Best Medium and Small Dog Bike Trailers Quick Guide
We’ve put together five of the best dog bicycle trailers specifically for small to medium dogs up to 66 lbs (29kg) to help you make the best choice for you and your dog’s biking style.
|Image||Brand & Weight Capacity||Buy|
|Schwinn Rascal Bike Pet Trailer - Up to 50lbs (22kg) carrying capacity||Check Price|
|ibiyaya 2-in-1 Heavy Duty Dog Trailer and Stroller - Up to 55lbs (25kg) (66lbs | 30kg as a jogger) carrying capacity||Check Price|
|Sepnine & Leonpets 2 in Dog Bicycle Trailer and Jogger - Up to 66lbs (30kg) carrying capacity||Check Price|
|Booyah Small Dog Bicycle Trailer - Up to 20lbs (9kg) carrying capacity||Check Price|
|DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer - Up to 55lbs (24kg) carrying capacity||Check Price|
What to Look For in a Dog Bike Trailer
We covered this more in-depth in our dog bike trailer reviews for large dogs, but when choosing a small dog bike trailer, consider the following:
Size & Weight
You don’t want a trailer that is too big for your pooch but still want to make sure it meets your needs. Are you carrying two small dogs? Make sure your dog will have ample room, and the trailer is not more than you need to tow.
Towing a dog buggy will change the way your bike handles. Plus, you also want to ensure your dog has a comfortable ride. Consider manoeuvrability and stability when looking at the quality of the trailer.
Construction and Durability
- You want a puppy rig that will last the distance, so look for durable construction and quality design.
- Choose aluminium or steel frames – never plastic.
- Look for mesh panel for maximum ventilation and preferably scratch proof mesh for longer wearing.
- Are rain covers included in the design?
- Do the wheel have stainless steel spokes and are the wheels easy to remove?
- What is the quality of tyre that comes standard with the trailer? Will it be easy to repair if you get a flat?
- If you will be travelling off-road, do you need suspension?
Versatility and Portability
- Is the trailer easy to fold down quickly for storage and transport? Do the wheels pop off easily?
- Do you need a trailer that converts to a dog pusher/jogger, or travel crate?
- Connecting Hitch – Does the trailer use a universal hitch or will you need to adapt it fit your bike.
- Safety Gear – The trailer should have a safety flag, reflectors, and interior leash or leash clip ring. Consider colour for high visibility
- Brake System – Do you need a foot or hand brake for stopping on hills or when converted to a stroller or jogger trailer?
- Entry Points – Is the entry point suitable for your dog.
- Pockets – A good trailer will have pockets to keep your dogs gear organised and out of the trailer cabin.
Best Medium and Small Dog Bike Trailer Reviews
Maximum carry weight: 50lbs (22kg)
- Adjustable internal leash
- Folding frame and quick-release wheels for compact storage
- Large rear-entry door for easy access
- 16″ wheels with aluminium rims
- Universal coupler attaches to most bikes
- Sunroof opening allows dogs to enjoy the scenery
The Schwinn Rascal trailer is a stylish design with great features to keep your hound happy when commuting. The cabin has plenty of ventilation with a rear door, sunroof and adjustable rain screen. The washable non-slip bottom liner is a great feature.
To keep you hound safe; there is an adjustable interior leash, as well as rear reflectors and safety flag.
A unique collapsable steel frame and quick release 16″ aluminium rim wheels allow for quick storage and transport. It also provides a stable and smooth ride.
A universal hitch makes it easy to attach to most bikes for versatility, and the air-filled tyres suit a standard bicycle pump for easy inflation.
The Schwinn Rascal Bike Dog Trailer is an excellent value for money, sturdy and durable dog trailer.
There are no stroller conversion kits for this trailer. It comes in three colours: green on grey, blue on grey and orange on grey.
- Looks good and a choice of colours
- Washable non-slip floor liner
- Interior safety leash
- Well constructed and easy to fold down
- Only one small external pocket
- No stroller conversion kit
- No suspension, although 16″ air-filled wheels and sturdy frame provide a stable and smooth ride
Maximum carry weight: 55lbs (25kg) (66lbs | 30kg as a jogger)
- 2 in 1 trailer and stroller
- 3 x adjustable safety leashes
- Large front and rear access
- All-weather cover with ventilation
- Universal coupler that attaches to most bicycles
- Rear brake system
- No assembly required
A versatile lightweight and roomy 2 in 1 convertible bike trailer, the ibiyaya transforms easily into a pet stroller or jogger. Best of all, it is delivered already assembled. Click on the quick-release wheels, and you’re away.
The cabin cover slips off for easy washing, and there is a large storage bag on the back with bottle holder. With easy front and rear access, the cabin also boasts three adjustable internal safety leashes.
Safety features include a flag and reflectors on the back of the cabin as well as reflective trim around the stroller ensure the trailer is visible at night.
There is plenty of ventilation with mesh windows and sunroof. The rain cover fits over the entire cabin keeping it free from rain, dirt and general bad weather.
The trailer is easy to fold down for storage or transport and hitches easily to either side of the bicycle.
- Rear tyre brake allowing the stroller to stay in place.
- Washable cabin cover
- Included rain cover for entire buggy
- 3 internal safety leashes included
- Easy conversion to stroller/jogger
- The stroller handlebar is not adjustable
- The bottom liner is thin
Maximum carry weight: 66lbs (30kg)
- Large windows with front rain cover
- Pneumatic wheels (16” rear wheels/12′ front wheel)
- Easily convert from trailer and jogger
- Universal bike hitch included
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Height not suitable for larger dogs if raining
The Sepnine easily converts from a bike trailer to a jogger. We would consider this a good entry-level trailer stroller. It’s good quality for the price but doesn’t have the same detail or ergonomic design as the ibiyaya, which is a superior product.
While the Sepnine has a dog carry capacity of 66lbs (30 kg), the low profile of the trailer cabin would not suit a larger hound. Also, even with the pneumatic wheels, pushing a 66 lb hound while jogging would be a hard slog. So, we see this as more of a medium or small dog trailer.
The non-slip cabin floor is thoughtful as are the front and rear safety reflectors.
There is plenty of mesh ventilation and a front weather shield along with spacious front and rear entry. Comes in seven colour combos.
- Easily converts from trailer to jogger
- Long handlebar arms so you don’t hit your feet or shins when walking
- No bottom cushion
- Front-wheel is fixed and doesn’t swivel
- Handlebar height is not adjustable
- No brakes
Maximum carry weight: 20lbs (9kg)
- 15.5″ quick release (push button) rear tires.
- 3 layer sunroof. (Closed, Mesh Screen, Open)
- Rain and wind cover
- Collapses for easy storage
- Front, back and tyre reflecting strips. Safety flag
- Removable cushion
- No stroller attachments
With a weight capacity 15lb – 20lbs (7-9 kg), this lightweight trailer is a real small dog bike trailer.
The Booyah trailer’s 15.5″ wheels are push-button for quick release and fold down for storage. A universal hitch which is easy to attach means it will attach quickly to most bikes.
The cabin has plenty of screen ventilation on all sides, a 3 layer sunroof for wind and rain protection and removable bottom cushion.
There are loads of safety features, including a flag, internal leash, and all-round reflectors on the front, back, sides and wheels.
There are no stroller conversion kits for this trailer.
- Front and rear entry.
- Well ventilated
- Folds down easily
- Quick release wheels
- No external pockets
- No stroller accessories
Maximum carry weight: 55lbs (24kg)
- Easily folds down by releasing one pin
- Quick-release wheels
- Interior leash and leash hooks
- Protective rain screen at the front
- Wheel holder for stroller wheel
- Easy front and rear access
- Sunroof for extra ventilation and visibility
- Exterior pocket for storage
DoggyRide is one of the most reputable manufactures of dog trailers around with some of the best trailers on the market.
Perfect for small to medium size hounds the DoggyRide mini has a tough powdered steel frame and UV-resistant nylon and mesh panels for durability and maximum airflow. An included rain cover protects from the elements, and zippered sunroof allows additional ventilation or shade.
12.5 “pull release wheels enable quick fold down for storage or transport and give your petit hound a smooth ride.
Pop the wheels off, and the cabin converts to a travel crate. With the optional kit, the DoggyRide converts to a jogging dog stroller as well.
The cabin has D rings and an internal safety leash, as well as a flag and reflectors. A good size pocket for doggy treats and toys and a water bottle holder is also a nice addition.
The DoggRide comes in Spring Green/Grey, Red Red/Black and Dutch Orange/Grey.
- Can convert to a stroller with an optional kit.
- Good looking small trailer for the smaller dog.
- Smooth ride
- No bottom cushion
- No mesh on the rear entry door