For those who love to travel with their dog, a travel dog bed is an essential accessory.
Travel with dogs has become much easier than it was in the past. There are loads of quality dog-friendly accommodation options, and air and train travel have become so much more accomodating of people travelling with pets.
It is also cheaper and more enjoyable for your hound than staying in a kennel.
Whether it’s a dog road trip, a camping or hiking trip with your dog or a weekend city escape, travelling with your dog does take some preparation.
Taking the fancy dog bed from home is not always practical, but taking a bed of some description is essential. We have looked at the most comfortable and practical dog beds for travel to suit all kinds of adventures.
Reasons you Need a Dog Travel Bed
There are several reasons to take a portable dog bed for your travel hound.
- A travel bed ensures your dog will be as comfortable as they are at home.
- Having their own bed creates a sense of familiarity in strange places.
- Creates a sense of security, especially for anxious dogs and gives them a space of their own
- Helps prevent your dog from sleeping on furniture if they are allowed to at home.
- Prevents hair from shedding on bed covers or furniture, which may result in additional cleaning costs at hotels.
- Your dog’s regular bed may not be as portable or travel friendly.
What to Look for in a Dog Travel Bed
Thankfully, the market has recognised the need for dedicated travel beds for dogs and catered accordingly. There are some fabulous dog beds on the market catering to all kinds of travel hounds. But, not all dog travel beds travel that well.
Look for some of these key features and characteristics when choosing a travel bed to suit your dog.
The whole point of a travel bed is the portability. Depending on the style of travel you do most and the size of your dog, consider how portable the bed actually is.
Look for beds that roll, fold, or collapse for secure storage. Do they have clips, straps or buckles to keep them secure? If the bed looks heavy, cumbersome, or difficult to carry or store, it may not be the right bed for the job.
Often we equate travel and portability with being small but don’t be tempted to downsize too much. Sacrificing on the size to save space or make the bed easier to carry might be a mistake.
A large dog will be less inclined to use the bed if it doesn’t fit. Remember, stay compact but don’t scrimp too much on size.
Opting for an elevated bed keeps your dog off the ground and well supported and cushioned.
If choosing a cushioned floor bed, ensure there is enough padding to keep your dog comfortable and the bottom prevents the cold seeping through. You wouldn’t like to sleep on a hard floor, neither does your dog, especially old dogs or dogs with bad joints.
The Kurgo elevated travel bed keeps your dog off the ground and has a removable topper that can act as a floor sleeping pad. Perfect for a dog crate or the car.
We always want the best quality for our dogs, so the same applied for their travel bed.
A travel bed will endure a lot more wear and tear than a regular dog bed that is not being moved around under different conditions. So look for high quality, hard-wearing construction and materials.
Easy to Clean & Water Resistant
Look for a bed that will be easy to clean, especially a bed that does not have a removable cover. An easy-clean bed will be especially important for camping trips.
Look for a bed that has water-resistant coatings and more importantly, a water-resistant base. It will make sure the bed doesn’t become a bit funky over time and ensure your dog doesn’t feel cold or damp that may seep up from the cold ground.
If you need to apply a water-resistant coating yourself, check the spray will be safe for your dog and do it well in advance of your dog using the bed.
The Kurgo Loft Wander Bed has a water-resistant top and waterproof base perfect for all types of travel indoor and out.
5 Best Dog Travel Bed Reviews
Spruce Pup Travel Bed – Our Top Pick
Get 10% off all Spruce Purchases – Use Code opulenthound at checkout
- 2 in 1 suitcase and travel bed design.
- Maximum Comfort.
- Designed with travel in mind – Compact and lightweight.
- Comes in 3 sizes.
We love this dog bed for travel. It’s portable, practical, comfortable, versatile and stylish. It ticks all the boxes, which is why the Spruce Pup travel bed is our top pick.
Designed with travel in mind, the bed zips up in half, so it doubles as a doggy suitcase to easily carry all your dog’s gear.
Made with the same principles of luggage and outdoor gear; lightweight, durable materials and thoughtful features such as D-ring clips, daisy-chains, padded handles, stash pockets and zipper pulls are key features.
A thick supportive memory foam mattress with large pillow bolsters and removable, waterproof faux suede fitted sheets ensure maximum comfort and easy wash and wear.
The bed also looks great and makes an easy addition to your usual luggage. Available in three sizes.
- Practical 2 in 1 bed/suitcase travel design
- Compact and easy to carry
- Maximum comfort with thick memory foam
- Easy to wash covers
- Stylish design
- None that we can find. We are yet to find a travel hound who doesn’t love this bed.
Chuckit! Travel Bed
- Simple no-fuss design suitable for indoor or out.
- Rolls up into its own carry bag.
- Easy to wash.
- Waterproof and durable.
The Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed is a favourite, especially with camping hounds. The simplicity of design and durability is the winner here. More of a dog mat than a bed, the Chuckit! Travel bed rolls out, providing a plush comfortable space for your dog.
Double offset quilting provides cushioning and prevents clumping. The microfibre poly suede top offers additional comfort and warmth.
The bed is water-resistant, and the durable, rip-stop bottom provides a barrier from wet or firm surfaces. It is machine washable and has handy eyelet loops allow for easy hanging when drying or airing.
It comes with a nylon stuff bag so stows like a sleeping bag.
- Simple durable design
- Waterproof backing
- Easy to machine wash
- The nylon backing makes an annoying crackling sound which is no good for skitty dogs.
- Not very thick, so may not be as comfortable on hard surfaces.
- Some people complain about it being bulky once packed so not suitable for hiking or backpacking but ok if you are not pressed for space.
Kurgo TaGo Elevated Dog Travel Bed
- Lightweight, sturdy frame folds down for easy storage.
- Has a carry case and handles
- Has a removable topper mattress that can be used separately as a sleeping pad.
- Holds dogs up to 75 lbs
Another 2 in 1 travel dog bed design we love. The Kurgo TaGo elevated dog bed comes with a removable 600 denier fleece topper that can also be used as a simple sleeping mat. Perfect for crates or in the car.
The elevated bed keeps dogs off the floor and temperature regulated with airflow. The powdered steel frame is lightweight (approximately 5 lbs) and easy to store. Simply fold the bed in half and place it in its bag.
The topper is machine washable, and the water-resistant bottom is easy to wipe clean. Holds dogs up to 75lbs and is approximately 30″ in diameter.
The Kurgo TaGo Elevated Dog Bed is a simple design that looks great and is very versatile.
- 2 in 1 versatile design – Removable topper doubles as a sleeping pad.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Easy to fold down and store.
- Easy to machine wash.
- Stylish design.
- May not be suitable for large dogs that like to sleep stretched out.
Kurgo Loft Wander Dog Camping & Travel Bed
- Durable and comfortable.
- Suited to outdoor use – Waterproof.
- Rolls for easy storage and has a convenient carry handle.
- Rubber non-slip bottom prevents slipping.
- Easy to machine wash.
The Kurgo Loft Wander Bed is a no-nonsense durable and comfortable dog travel bed perfect for the outdoors.
Durable, water-resistant, rip-stop top and Rufftex® waterproof bottom will keep your dog dry and comfortable on cold floors or even on wet grass.
The 140g Polytech fill keeps your dog cosy, and the non-slip bottom keeps the bed in place, even in the car.
The Loft Wander Bed rolls up into a compact sleeping-bag-sized bundle for storage and has a handle for easy carrying. It even has a hidden zipper pocket for stashing small doggy bits and pieces.
Easily machine washable it comes in two sizes:
- Medium (Open: 27in x 36in x 2in | Rolled up: 12.5in x 8in)
- Large (Open: 36in x 48in x 3in | Rolled up: 17in x 9.5in).
Available in Brown or cherry red.
- Waterproof and durable make it great for outdoor use such as camping.
- A non-slip rubber base prevents slipping, even on a car seat.
- Rolls up with carrying handle for easy storage and transport.
- Easy to machine wash.
- As it is a sleeping pad design, it may not be as thick as some dogs need on a hard surface, especially older dogs.
Lightspeed Outdoors Self Inflating Fleece Travel Dog Bed
- Internal self-inflating foam mattress for added comfort.
- Removable fleece top.
- Puncture and waterproof bottom.
- Easy to machine wash.
Another great sleeping pad for outdoor or indoor use, the Self Inflating Travel Dog Bed from Lightspeed Outdoors makes a great dog travel bed.
The key feature of this bed is the inner foam mattress that self inflates by tuning a nozzle to let air in. The durable mattress is puncture and water-resistant with cushioning on all sides. You can adjust the inflation level, which is excellent if you want a pad style bed for dogs with joint problems.
A thick fleece top which removes for easy cleaning provides extra warmth and comfort. The outer shell is also machine washable.
The bed rolls up quickly with two nylon buckle straps to keep it compact.
Measures 42″ x 32″ x 2″ thick and packs down to 32″ x 6″. Available in three colours: charcoal, tan and green
- Internal self inflating foam mattress for added comfort.
- Great if you want a pad style bed for old dogs or dogs with joint problems.
- Removable fleece top for easy wash
- Puncture and waterproof shell.
- Rolls up for easy storage with straps to keep it compact.
- Only comes in one size so may be too big for small dog crates.